I love to cook, love to grow and spoil my family!
We can use any minced meat for Burritos filling, or no meat at all. Rice and beans are another great pairing with vegetables and herbs.
These wraps are now available in supermarkets for great Mexican meals anytime. They can be kept in the freezer until needed. Best thaw before use else it will tear upon wrapping.
READY TO USE SEASONING MIX
Burritos are great for leftovers such as roast chicken or biryani rice. The filling can be anything you want. The last ingredient need to be able to melt quickly (any cheese), moisten the drier filling and blend everything together (sour cream, yogurt etc).
To Prepare (Non Spicy) Filling (as I am cooking for children) –
- 300g any minced meat (or 2 cup cooked rice) – salt, pepper
- 1 cup diced onion (medium)
- 1 garlic (chopped)
- Fresh Oregano, Sage or any herbs as desired
- 3 cups any vegetables ( I love red capsicums, corns, peas for the color! )
- 1 can of any beans
- 1 teaspoon each, dry spice powder – cumin, turmeric, coriander (or Mexican burrito spices, pre-mix)
- 2 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- Cheddar, shredded
- Sour Cream
How to cook filling (the steps are the same for non meat version) –
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in Pan
- Sauteed onion and garlic until slightly brown (until fragrant)
- Add dry spice powder
- Add minced beef (mix onion and garlic into meat or rice while stirring)
- Tomato Paste ( add in when meat is almost cooked) – mix well
- Vegetables, Beans and Fresh Herbs
Extra Note – The mixture must not be wet thus allow to simmer at low heat until the liquid (from cooked meat and vegetables) is reduced. This can be prepared ahead of time and kept well in the fridge until needed for a week.
Airtight container keep food better.
An example of ready to use spices mix –
Prepare wraps when ready to eat.
Preheat oven at 160C.
Step 1 – Filling can be straight from fridge (cold is better)
May need toothpick to pin this wrap close ! Avocado is a good substitute for sour cream because of its creamy texture.
Step 2 – Power Layering made the difference !
Sour cream + Cheddar will melt giving the moist to our dry mixture. Top with spring onion. Guacamole or hummus is another favorite addition.
Wrapped this up and baked in a preheat oven for 10 minutes. We know its ready when the burrito is slightly brown on the edges and we also should smell the cheesy sour cream as it melt into the warm filling.
This is why my daughter very rarely dine out with her friends. She rather bring everyone back to eat at home!