Before we get too excited about these apples seedlings and dreams of picking fresh apples from own trees, some reading would suffice to put everything back on track, firmly in reality. Here are the “BAD NEWS” about apples from supermarkets’ fruits seeds –
- Seedling will become a tree, about 6 to 9 meters high (not suitable for my bedroom gardens! )
- Unlikely to grow true (won’t look like the supermarket’s apples where these seeds come from)
- Not self pollinating, need another seedling from different variety
- Time to harvest if one is lucky, 6 to 10 years
- Unlikely to be a dwarf variety
- Unlikely to grow well in pot, need depth of 2 feet (unlikely to fit in bathtubs!)
- Radius from another tree, 9 feet
Thus these seedlings would be grown for fun and knowledge fulfilling, tracking how they start and grow for as long as possible.
Small apples from Fuji, Jazz or Gala varieties have higher chance of germination. Just need to keep refrigerated, in a moist enclosed environment, until they sprouted. These seedlings sprouted in 2 weeks.
As we have two seedlings, one will be grown in soil and the other in liquid medium.
Soil Based – A sandy very well draining mix is used over regular potting soil, as they seem to suffer roots rot easily.
Liquid Based –
Longer and more roots mass developed in 2 weeks.
Hydro and Soil seedlings were observed to grow in equal pace in September 2018, but the rate of growth was faster for soil based in October.
Both seedling were donated to a gardener for further observation in December 2018 due to lack of time and space.